Federal Government Primary Funder of US Ag Research
The Federal Government provides 64% of public agricultural research and development funding in the United States. ERS released new data this week on ag research, showing state governments and non-governmental sources, including funds generated by universities, account for the other 36% of funds for public agricultural R&D. Federal funds are delivered via external grants to universities and other cooperating institutions, and through appropriations to USDA agencies.
Most of the federal funding for agricultural research performed by non-Federal institutions is managed by USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture. NIFA allocates the funds through grants to land grant and minority-serving institutions and through competitive grants open to all universities. Of the $1.6 billion in agricultural research by USDA research agencies, about $165 million was allocated to cooperative research agreements with universities.
The National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, and other federal agencies are also important funders of agricultural research and development.
If you have a story idea for the PNW Ag Network, call (509) 547-1618, or e-mail email@example.com