U.S. Household Food Insecurity Unchanged From 2020 to 2021
ERS released data that week that shows in 2021, 89.8% of U.S. households were food secure throughout the entire year. Food secure means they had access to food at all times for all household members during the year. The remaining 10.2% of households were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 3.8% that experienced very low food security.
In households reporting very low food security, the food intake of one or more household members was reduced, and their eating patterns were disrupted at times because the household lacked money and other resources for obtaining food. The 2021 prevalence of food insecurity, at 10.2%, was statistically unchanged from 2020. Very low food security was not significantly different from its 3.9 percent rate in 2020.
ERS monitors the food security status of households in the United States through an annual nationwide survey.
If you have a story idea for the PNW Ag Network, call (509) 547-1618, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org